How to Get Ready to Sell a House
When you make the decision to sell a house, there are quite a few different things you should consider. Read on to discover some effective advice on how to prepare your home for sale to ensure you achieve the maximum price.
Select a real estate agent who is right for you
Once you decide to sell a house, selecting the right agent will help make selling your home much easier. Take some time and find out a bit about the person you want to represent you. Experience and in depth knowledge of real estate trends, a successful sales record and the willingness to listen to you in a friendly, respectful manner are key points to consider.
Accept the fact that you are leaving this property
For people who have spent many years in a home, separating from it can take an emotional toll. It is important to get over that hurdle and remove your feelings from the cleaning out and selling process. Since you have decided to sell, start packing – this not only gets you ready to move on but also helps to de-clutter the home so that it looks more spacious to potential buyers. This is also the time to remove any items that you don’t intend to include in the sale such as a high-end appliance or special lighting fixture.
Create a clean-up and fix-up checklist to get the property in tip top shape
- Hire a home inspector: This is a great way to find out exactly what needs to be done to ensure the safety and structural integrity of your home. If you wait until the sale is almost done and the inspection for occupancy discovers a problem, you may lose the buyer and precious time.
- Clean, clean, clean! Stop and take a good look around the inside and outside of your home. You may be comfortable and used to things the way they are, but how will a prospective buyer see it?
- Wash windows inside and out to give the house a bright, fresh look and let in plenty of light.
- Power wash the driveway, sidewalks, decks and other surfaces to restore a like-new look.
- Clean the siding, roof and gutters, and touch up exterior trim and doors.
- Vacuum air vents and radiators, wash down molding and make sure blinds, curtains and drapes are clean and fresh-smelling.
- Paint walls a pleasant, neutral color or wash existing paint with a mild cleaning solution to remove dust and fingerprints. (Be sure to fill in any holes!)
- Don’t forget about cleaning out closets and cabinets or the garage, basement and attic! As prospective buyers look through your home, they will be checking all these places so they have to be neat and clutter-free as well.
- Bathroom walls and fixtures need to be clean and mold-free with no gaps in grout or hard water build up.
- Kitchens must be spotless with a clean oven and refrigerator.
- Make a plan to ‘stage’ the home: Decide what furniture and accessories looks best and remove everything that is extra or personal so that the rooms look open and inviting.
Impartial free advice to help you sell a house
For more advice on how to sell a house in Bellingham, or anywhere across Whatcom County, consult with Derek Worchel, a professional real estate agent with your best interests at heart on 360 389 7988.